An inconsolable cry is widespread with babies under three months. Inconsolable cries can be very annoying and worrisome for parents. Parents should find a way to calm a crying baby and understand the cause of the baby’s tears.
All babies have their distinct features, just like adults. A method of petting a baby might work for one and may fail to work for another. However, if there is one thing all babies have that is similar, that’s the ability to cry inconsolably.
When they do this, some mothers find it challenging to understand their persistent cry. Some parents can be patient enough to determine why a baby is crying, while some can’t deal with the baby crying every day.
Crying, according to facts, is the only way a baby can communicate their needs to their parents. There may not be a static formula for parents to translate why a baby is crying, but a patient parent should know the common reasons why babies cry and how to soothe their tears. The common reasons why babies cry uncontrollably;
Baby Crying Uncontrollably Suddenly – Here Are Some Common Reason
- Teething: babies between four months and two years mostly cry of pain on their teeth. Your child might wake up at mid-night cry uncontrollably due to teeth pains. This is very common with babies with bulging teeth gums.
- Ear Problem Or Infection: your child can suddenly develop fever and cold in the night; an ear infection could be the cause of this fever. A runny nose might turn green which often sets in before ear infection follows.
- Running: When a mother is still breastfeeding a child, the baby’s stomach gets upset by what the mother ate during the day. Nutritionists often advise nursing mothers to stop taking bad food with inadequate nutrients because it affects their baby and can cause gas pains and crying.
- Colic: This is a common problem among babies. The abdominal pains that cause uncontrollable cry among babies can last for hours; causes of colics are food sensitivities, GER, and more.
- Insect Bite: If your baby has itchy skin, red bumps that you noticed weren’t there during the day, it might be due to an insect bite and can be very painful and harmful to their soft skin.
Other causes of the baby’s uncontrollable cry are sore throat, scratched eye, and hair tourniquet. Some babies can mistakenly irritate their eyes and can be very painful. Mothers are advised to seek medical attention if they can’t handle all these problems or better still calm their babies, and the best way to calm a crying baby is to get why the baby is crying.
If you have a crying baby and after checking all the common causes mentioned above and you still can’t pet or soothe your baby, here are five soothing skills you can use to stop your baby from crying ;
Soothing Skills To Stop Baby’s Inconsolable Cry
- Swaddling: Most babies love to be swaddled, especially when they cry. When you swaddle a crying baby, there is this sense of security and comfort that runs their mind, making them remember when they are in your womb. Mothers can wrap a baby in their snug and swaddle till the baby stop crying.
- Stomach Position Touching: you can hold your baby on their tummy to resolve gas and stomach ache issues
- Sucking: babies feel so relax when they suck on anything, either breast or anything.it calms them down a bit
- Shushing: You can try to make a little bit of noise into their ear ..it makes them feel good and stop them from crying because it reminds them of the noise they heard in their womb
- Swinging: you can swing your baby to the left and to the right to make them get busy because they are used to this type of movement, and this can calm them a bit
Minimal Reasons Of Unexplained Baby Cry
One of the main reasons why a baby will keep crying inconsolably is because the baby is hungry. When a baby gets fed, they immediately stop crying, and you see that happiness in them, and they fall asleep. Failure to get food at the appropriate time will lead to uncontrollable cry.
Some babies might cry because they need to sleep. So because they cannot communicate to needs, they cry to tell their parent they need to be asleep. Another minimal reason a baby can cry is overfeeding. Too much milk can cause problems for a baby’s stomach for a short time, just like the general saying that too much everything is terrible.
A baby gets irritated and if they are too hot and if their stool is not washed immediately. The stool is irritating to a baby’s skin and can cause pain and burns on their soft skin. Babies cry a lot which is their only way of communicating with their mother.
- Can Babies Die From Crying Too Much
- Best Double Jogging Stroller For Infants And Toddlers
- Best Bottle For Choking Baby
- Best Baby Carrier For Back Pain
Two Types Of Baby’s Cry A Mother Should Know
1. Normal Cry: All babies cry when they need something. Normal baby cry two to three hours each day without explanation, and their cries are not random (it is scattered at a different time till night)
2. Colic: Some babies are tough to pet and soothe. Colic is baby’s temperament and has nothing to do with disease
For both types of cry, here is some advice for parents to help alleviate their babies.
- Feeding: parent should feed their babies as at when due but not every time she cries. Some babies cry from feeding, so let your baby decide when she is tired of your milk.
- Hold and pet your crying baby: Parents should always pet and soothe their crying baby to help them relax and sleep. Too much cry might lead to fever .babies like to rock with a slight movement or vibrations.
- Swaddle them in a blanket: swaddling is the most common soothing technique used by caring mothers. It helps your baby wake up healthy, happy, and sound.
Other helpful tips not mentioned above are; encouraging nighttime sleep, don’t shake a baby.
Parents should reach out to their doctor if their child is acting abnormally and cries uncontrollably for more than two hours. Your baby can’t be consoled using all this care advice once the cry is more than two hours, .so if your child’s illness is excessive and life-threatening, a baby might cry for a whole day.
I am a proud mother of two, a lover and home builder. My love for children gave birth to the bestofmotherearth.com with the aim to cover topics from child health, pregnancy, parenting, family, relationship, struggles in families and also food.