A boppy pillow is a pillow that is used for feeding babies from the day of birth as a support to help prop their tender body for three months or more.
Boppy pillows are handy can be used for different things; they go through a lot which includes spills from breastmilk, leakage, urine or poop, baby spit, vomit, and other types of tip over during its use. You might need your boppy pillow to last longer if you expect another child or plan to give birth still. Wash it well and make sure it dries properly always to be clean and remain in shape.
Trendy Post – Drinking In Early Pregnancy Without Knowing
How To Wash Boppy Pillow
Tips for keeping your boppy pillow clean
Maintenance with options:
Get at least two to three pillow covers for it, so when the one in use is dirty or washed, and be renewed be changed with another. But we all know how it isn’t easy to keep up with consistent laundry, especially when you have a newborn.
Protect your pillow by covering it with a blanket when using it to protect stains or spills from staining it. Washing a stained blanket is much easier than washing the pillow every time.
It is advisable to wash the nursing pillow at least once every month or two months to have clean hygiene.
Tips for cleaning in the washing machine:
- Before washing, always check the fabric if there are instructions to follow.
- Detergents that are scent-free and gentle are better for the boppy pillow and the baby’s safety.
- To remove excess moisture from the pillow, it is advised to use the second spin.
- When the pillow is in the dryer, put two tennis balls in the sock and include it with the pillow in the dryer. It speeds up the drying process and protects the shape of the pillow.
- If the pillow has a funny smell from the constant spit, puke, or other spills from your baby, add a half cup of baking soda when washing it to eradicate the smell or odor.
- Also, to remove mildew smell, mold, or musty from your boppy pillow, add a cup of vinegar when washing it.
Read This – How To Baby Proof Dresser Drawer
Not all pillows are safe to clean in the washing machine, so it is best to check the tags to be sure. It is wrong to submerge or soak a boppy pillow that is not safe in the washing machine; instead, it is safe to use an antimicrobial spray to have a spot-cleaned pillow or a homemade antibacterial spray.
- Pour two cups of warm water into a spray bottle.
- Use a quarter cup filled with washing soda
- With essential oil, just five to six drops
- Allow it to mix up properly by shaking it to dissolve properly, then apply to the affected areas.
Reasons why a boppy pillow is needed:
The most convenient place to keep the baby is between the boppy pillow when they are awake because it makes them feel comfortable.
Parents have the time to prepare meals, do house chores, fix the hair, and do everything needed before the baby calls for attention.
The weight of the boppy pillow is light easy to take along with you everywhere you go, so it can give your baby comfortable while sleeping and when they are awake.
It is important to leave the tag that comes with the boppy pillow because it has information to prevent you from danger. However, below are things you must keep in mind when using it for your baby;
For quick clean-up, do not take it for dry cleaning or ironing; just gently clean with wipes.
Ensure you do not entirely ignore your baby when using this; always be there to monitor them to avoid them getting into danger.
When your baby starts lifting body, rolling over, making movement, or has exceeded the weight limit of 16lbs, it is advised you stop using the pillow.
Guide your baby, don’t allow them to sleep on the side or face down to prevent them from getting suffocated. Using it around their stomach might cause them to choke or suffocate.
The baby’s airway should be kept open always to protect them from choking when lying on the pillow. Never allow the baby to fold up or curl in the center of the pillow because this might harm or cause them to choke.
Yes, boppy pillows are great support for babies, especially when they are feeding, but it takes space, and most parents conclude it is just for one purpose when it can do more than assist with nursing a baby.
Below are ways that the pillow should be used and other things you need to know;
- It helps give great support to the back and enables them to sit comfortably in one spot.
- You can put the pillow on your lap and wrap it on your waist.
- You can also face your baby to yourself comfortably by placing the baby sideways on the pillow.
- Adjust your baby’s head and put the torso at the upper side of your arm, so they can be close to the breast while you rest your arms comfortably on the boppy pillow.
- It allows you to nurse your baby properly.
- Prevent the torso at the lower part from the baby. Even it is not close enough, and you can adjust it by adding an extra pillow under the boppy billow for good support
How to Use a Boppy for Bottle Feeding
The shape of the pillow, which forms letter c, gives pregnant women the extra support they require during pregnancy and allows them to sleep comfortably on their sides.
Most women have had struggles and discomfort with pain in the hips or the pubic symphysis at the end of the pregnancy phase. This pubis symphysis connects the two halves of the pubic bones with a ligament that also connects them; it allows it to open up at childbirth for the baby to come out through the uterus.
In addition, the third trimester allows women to release hormones released in their body, causing excess stress to that area of the body and allowing discomfort.
The pillow can be very helpful in periods like this to give you the comfort you need. You can place it between the thigh and know when you get the pressure when you need to rest or sleep. It also has great use after childbirth and the healing period.
Lastly, this multi-functional boppy pillow is a great tool for both mother and child. It can be used for many things like support when breastfeeding or bottle-feeding assist with sitting positions. Great support for recovering mother and for great sleeping positions
I am a proud mother of two, a lover and home builder. My love for children gave birth to the bestofmotherearth.com with the aim to cover topics from child health, pregnancy, parenting, family, relationship, struggles in families and also food.