A child with desirable and pleasant self-esteem feel assured about themselves and their ability. The idea of self-esteem is very relevant to children’s development because it helps them think positively about themselves and proud of what they can do.
Parents most times imbibe positive self-esteem to their children as kids learn comfortably from people they like.
Ways To Develop A Child Self Esteem
Every child has a distinct feature and character. However, even if a child has low self-esteem, it can be raised. Here are the ways parents can help a child develop his or her self esteem:
1. Help Your Child Learn New Things
Parents can help a child learn new things like holding a spoon, taking a step, and holding a pen. Doing all these awakens their sense of mastery. As your child grows, primitive actions like reading, singing, holding an object can collectively boost the child’s confidence and self-esteem.
Before you teach a child how to do new things, you do it first, even if the child makes mistakes later but be sure you give them several chances to improve, learn and feel proud.
2. Commend Your Child, But Don’t Let It Be Extreme
It is good to praise children when they do the right thing to build their confidence and show that you are proud of them, but do it in moderation and not excess.
3. Commend Effort And Not On Results
Parents should focus on effort and progress and not just fixed results (qualities). Children put more effort into learning new things if encouraged for their effort and progress and are likely to succeed.
Parents should be good leaders: parents must be good role models to their kids. Modeling a positive attitude will help the child build positive self-esteem and good feelings. When parents do particular tasks cheerfully, they can teach their children to do the same too. Parents need to show their children that they have a positive view of themselves and show that their children are lovable and capable.
Prohibiting harsh or cruel words, removing obstacles, and providing incentives can help children develop positive self-esteem. It is also important that parents listen to their thoughts and opinions to commend their effort and willingness to grow and learn new things.
How Children Can Develop Positive Self Esteem
Children can develop pleasant self-esteem by working towards achieving their goals. They have goals in their mind, and when they accomplish the goals, it shows they have what it takes to face new challenges.
The success of the achieved goal makes them feel satisfaction and the appraisal they get from their parents, friends, and adult help them grow their self-esteem over time and make them feel good.
Why Is Self Esteem Important In Child Development
- Self-fulfillment and positive thinking
- The resilient and proud feeling
- A positive sense of control over activities
- They can do things independently.
- Taking responsibility for every action
- They are comfortable and can form a good relationships with peers.
- Have the courage to make their decision even during a difficult situation or pressure
Articles to Read:
- Best Baby Stroller For Running
- The Best Baby Carrier For Walking
- Causes Of Newborn Sleeping Too Much
Effect Of Negative Self Esteem In Child Development
- A child feels frustrated and angry.
- Anxiety and very naive to take a decision
- The child tends to lose interest in learning.
- Difficult to take decision and innovations
- They are likely to be oppressed, bullied, and teased.
- They easily give up, withdraw from things or events, and give in to peer pressure.
- They quite easily and develop the self-defeat
- Difficulty in developing strong self-advocacy skills
6 Steps That Parents Can Take To Develop Self Esteem In A Child
- Listen, understand and accept your child’s thoughts and opinion
- Set a target or situations that will help your child achieve success and not a failure
- Let your child have control over their life
- Please encourage your child and motivate their actions
- 5.Reinforce your child in a lovable and capable way and show a positive view of yourself
- Let your child have a sense of ownership and responsibility for their actions
Guidelines To Follow For Nurturing And Maintaining Self Esteem In A Child
- See every child as a unique being
- Be realistic
- Accept a child’s mistakes and correct them.
- Motivate and encourage your child
- Acknowledge a child’s unpleasant feelings and help them overcome them.
- Give responsibility and cooperate with your child’s progress.
- Believe in their ability and their thoughts.
A child with good positive self-esteem will be able to face new challenges and value themselves. Parents need to support their children but realistically. Parents need to encourage and appraise their kids to build their self-esteem.
Trendy Post: Why Is Self Esteem Important In Child Development?