When you pay attention to the type of relationship that exists between grandparents and their grandchildren in movies, you will never think both parties will have issues at any point.
What you see in movies might not always be real life, and it is common for a grandchild to ignore their grandparent.
It is going to hurt your feelings when you find out that there your grandchildren do not want to spend time with you, but one thing you should know is that it is normal.
Some kids love being around their grandparents because that is where they get spoilt or get away with a lot of things easily. There are so many reasons that could cause grandchildren to act this way with their parents.
There is nothing perfect in this world, and this should also make you understand that you do not have to expect every family to be perfect.
All of the things you have imagined might not end up playing out that way, and this also applies to the grandparents and grandchild relationship.
Why Do My Grandchildren Ignore Me?
The truth is you might have constant disagreements with your own kids, but the fact still remains that your kids will want your grandchildren to love and respect you.
It is the dream of every parent that their kids have a loving and lasting relationship with their grandparents.
However, things do not always go the way we want them. Check out some of the reasons below why your grandchild might ignore you;
- They ignore you based on the influence of their parents
- Your grandchildren find it difficult to relate with you, and this is about them and not you
- They do not spend so much time around you
- They have this understanding that you do not like them
- There are underlying family issues that are yet to be resolved
- Simply because they are still kids
- They feel scared
- As a grandparent, you have so many rules
- You tend to guilt-trip them
- The times you have spent together ended up being too stressful
- It is a personal problem for them
Interesting Post – Is It Safe To Wear Tight Jeans During Pregnancy?
What Do You Do When Your Grandchild Doesn’t Like You?
As a grandparent, you are going to feel down when your grandchild rejects you. This can put you in a very bad state, so what do you do when your grandchild doesn’t like you?
It is normal for you to try bonding with your grandchild, but the child either walks away or ends up crying their way out of your arms.
What do you do when you find yourself in this awkward position? The truth is you might not be doing anything wrong because these things tend to happen.
Here are a few tips regarding what you can do if you feel your grandchild doesn’t like you or finds it difficult to associate with you;
- Try to take a different approach when trying to relate with your grandchild. Allow them to move at their own pace and not yours
- Avoid taking your grandchild out of their parents’ arms as doing this might trigger them to hand you a rejection. Hold out your arms when they are at ease and see if they will want you to hold them
- One strategy you should consider trying is delaying in greeting your grandchild. Do not show an interest too soon, but you can first get busy talking with their parents. When the child sees the parents are comfortable around you then they can try getting comfortable with you
- Finally, you can try to entice the child with an interesting toy. In most cases, grandchildren find it difficult to resist an item you have in your hand, so this approach is also very effective
Read This – My Son Is Being Manipulated By His Girlfriend
How Do You Ge Your Grandchildren To Like You?
If you and your grandchild do not share the type of relationship grandparents and their grandchildren share in movies then you might be worried that you are not doing something right.
If you are looking for what to do to get your grandchild to like you then check them out below;
- Make out time to spend with them and get to know them
- Make out time to play with your grandchild
- Reading is a way to bond with your grandchild, so you should consider doing this
- Ensure you attend most of their activities as doing this will make them happy
- Give them praise when they do something right
- Cultivate the habit of saying their name
- Make sure your face always lights up when they visit you or come to your room
- Learn how to show physical affection by loving them
- Make out time to listen to all of their complaints
- Writing letters do not get old, and this can be fun between grandchild and grandparents
How Often Should Grandparents Expect To See Their Grandchild?
Grandparents derive a lot of joy when they speak with their grandchildren, but this joy gets heightened when they meet eye to eye.
It is a known fact that grandparents will always want to spend time with their grandchildren, and this is known to build up the relationship between them.
This physical contact can be easily achieved if the grandparents and grandchildren do not live far from each other, and this can prompt grandparents to wonder how often they are expected to meet with their grandchildren.
If you find yourself asking this question, you should know that there is no one size fits all answer to this question.
How far a grandparent lives from the grandchild is going to play a huge role in doing this, and there are other factors to consider like family setup, and if the grandparents play a role in the child welfare.
If all of these factors are considered then it is okay for grandparents to see their grandchildren at least once every week.
It doesn’t mean spending the whole day, but it is okay to spend a few hours together and catch up on all that has been going on in the life of their grandchild.
However, this is going to change if they live far off from each other. If this is the case then they might consider seeing three or four times a year.
I am a proud mother of two, a lover and home builder. My love for children gave birth to the bestofmotherearth.com with the aim to cover topics from child health, pregnancy, parenting, family, relationship, struggles in families and also food.