The baby carriers used for preemies are not like the regular baby carriers you will find on the market, and this tells you the efforts required in making a preemie feel loved, cared for, and comfortable. Shopping for the best baby carrier for preemie is another challenge mothers will face when they go out shopping for one, but that is what this guide is here to address. If your baby is among the percentage of babies born as a preemie, this post is for you. Given the increasing number of preemies everyday, companies that make baby products decided to make baby carriers that will not just be easy to carry your preemie around, but also provides preemies with some health benefits. Preemies need a lot of attention and love, and they are subjected to a lot of care compared to all other babies.
Baby wearing has become a common and popular practice among so many parents nowadays, and admitting preemies in the national intensive care unit might last for some days, weeks, or months. Baby wearing might not be among a doctors day to day recommended routine for mothers and babies, but it is an act that so many mothers find to be fun. So many mothers enjoy carrying their baby in a baby carrier, and recent studies have proved that carrying your baby with the face on your chest allows the baby feel the mother close, and also improves the bonding between the mother and child. Babies that weigh below 5.5 pounds are considered as premature babies, and there are specially designed lightweight baby carriers mothers can use in carrying them around.
However, parents are faced with the decision of selecting a baby carrier for their premature from ring-sling, woven-wrap, and soft-textured materials, and selecting a suitable baby carrier for your preemie depends on the parents choice and baby size. If you have preemie twins, your baby carrier needs to be very strong. There are so many ways a baby carrier for preemie can be beneficial, and these are;
- Baby carriers for preemies serves as an additional womb that boosts bonding between mother and child, especially during a very stressful period
- Preemies are in need of a skin to skin contact between them and their mother, as it brings a snug feeling and feeling of safety
- Preemies are sleepy most of the times, so having them very close to their moms provides a feeling of warmth and comfort
- Preemies enjoy a calming effect that is brought about by feeling their moms heartbeat and skin.
- The scent of their mothers skin also helps in reducing the possibility of crying in preemies
- Preemies feed more compared to other babies, so having them in a baby carrier encourages more and easy feeding for growth and weight gain.
Best Baby Carrier For Preemie – Buying Guide And Recommendation
Knowing the right time to carry your preemie is another tricky question so many mothers do not have the right answer to. A preemie’s development takes place the same way it would have while in the mother’s womb, so it all depends on how early a mother gave birth to her child, whether it is between twenty six weeks to thirty seven weeks. Consulting with the healthcare officer in charge of your preemie will be helpful at this point, and mothers should take note that their preemie should be breastfeeding already. Preemies should also maintain warmth without the help of an incubator, and they should be able to add weight and breathe gradually.
What To Consider When Carrying A Preemie
Just like we all know, preemies are more delicate compared to other babies in terms of handling, so when handling a preemie, caution should be take or else they get irritated. However, carrying a preemie shouldn’t be done instantly, but what a mother must do is first observe the preemies limits and abilities. There are several factors that come into play when trying to carry a preemie, and this factors include;
- Practicing how to wrap a preemie before engaging in the activity is a wise step to take. Mothers can use a doll in order to be sure of what they are doing, and to avoid harming or irritating their preemie.
- Consider if your preemie is strong enough to be in a baby carrier, and this involves checking your baby’s physical ability.
- Your preemie should be wrapped up snugly to make them very comfortable.
- Nursing premature babies can be extremely demanding for mothers, so confidence and patience are needed when dealing with a premature baby.
Premature infants and babies are very sensitive, so a baby carrier for preemie would be very different from the regular baby carrier on the market. Furthermore, you will find baby carrier for premature in carrier and wrap forms, and these are best suited for preemies because they encourage carrying them in a healthy kangaroo position. Medical research has shown that premature babies benefit greatly when carried in a baby carrier, and this is based on the fact that carrying preemies in a baby carrier enables them increase weight, sleep well, and improves their oxygen levels.
Best Baby Carrier For Preemie Review
1. Sleepy Wrap Baby Carrier
This baby carrier is suitable for newborns and toddlers, and made using high-quality cotton and spandex materials tells you the baby carrier quality you are dealing with. This material has a great stretch that makes it easy to wrap it round your baby, and being able to distribute weight evenly to all parts of the body is what makes this baby wrap unique. It doesn’t strain the back and it doesn’t use up too much space anywhere it is kept. It is portable and lightweight, and storing this baby carrier leaves enough space for you to carry any other of you and your baby’s essentials. This is a machine washable baby carrier.
- Offering warmth is what makes this baby carrier unique
- It provides a comfortable and luxurious feeling
- It is good at distributing weight
- The more it stretches, the less you can get out of it
2. Boba Wrap Baby Carrier
The next baby carrier for preemie on our list is the Boba Wrap Baby Carrier which is very simple to use, and its one size makes using it easier than expected. This is a soft and stretchy fabric that guarantees keeping your baby close, so cleaning it up is more easier than you think, and being able to machine wash this baby carrier makes cleaning it up after use very easy. It is basically a lifesaver baby carrier for every mom with a preemie, and there will be no difficulty when you want to tie this baby carrier with your baby in it. Apart from the close proximity between mother and child, this baby carrier makes breastfeeding a breeze for moms.
- Encouraging babies to fall asleep is what this baby carrier does
- It offers a good amount of comfort
- This baby carrier is easy to use
- There are complaints this baby carrier isn’t practical enough
3. 4 in 1 Baby Carrier Wrap and Baby Sling Carrier
This baby carrier is made out of high-quality cotton fabric material, and mothers who have tried out this baby carrier revealed how it promoted bonding between mother and child. Babies will be able to hear and feel their mom while in this baby carrier, you can trust that there will be a reduction in fussiness in babies when you have them in this four-in-one baby carrier. Comfort and safety are two significant benefits this baby carrier offers, and for easy cleanup, mothers can easily throw this baby carrier in a wash machine. Mothers also benefit from using this baby carrier as it holds down the tummy after childbirth.
- It has a perfect price point
- It is okay for frequent use
- It is very easy to tie
- Its fabric feels a little bit too tight which could cause sweating in babies
4. CuddleBug Baby Wrap Sling + Carrier
Mothers will love the feeling of their sleeping child on their chest, and also engaging in other activities like doing some kitchen and house chores, thanks to the CuddleBug baby wrap and carrier. The basic concept behind this baby carrier is attending to your baby while getting other things done, and this tells you the amount of flexibility and freedom this baby carrier offers. Babies will enjoy maximum security and comfort when wrapped inside this baby carrier, and it comes with single-person instructions which makes it very easy to use. It supports gentle wearing and it is made with non-toxic materials that will not harm your little baby.
- It keeps babies close and comforted
- Enabling mothers to clean and move around is another benefit of using this product
- It helps babies with fussiness
- Its material is a little bit thick, and it could make tying it up a bit difficult
5. Lightweight My Honey Wrap
Finally, we are drawing the curtains on our best baby carrier for preemie with the lightweight My Honey Wrap, and this is one baby carrier that is made using one hundred percent fibers. It is completely breathable and lightweight for your baby’s comfort, and interestingly, this baby carrier with a step by step manual on how to use and get the best out of it. It is a machine washable baby carrier just like every other baby carrier we have talked about in this guide, and safety is another notable feature this baby carrier offers preemies.
- It stretches enough
- It is lightweight, making it cool to wear
- Babies will stay asleep in this baby carrier
- Mothers complained this baby carrier has too much stretch
Baby Carriers for preemies are a must-have for every mother with a preemie because it has a positive hold on a preemies emotional growth. Allowing preemies enjoy the proximity and warmth of their parents is a significant benefit of using a baby carrier for preemie, and developing mother and child bond cannot be overlooked.